Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tom yum kung (Thai sour and spicy shrimp soup)


          Kung, Koong, Goong or what ever :) means Shrimp - - - Tom yum has many style to make, it's up to how style you like, some add tomatoes some add dried chili. So today I'll show you how to make condensed soup style. 

          Left picture is evaporated milk that I've been use in Stir fried crab in curry powder. I add it in soup, anyway if you can't find that milk you can also add whole milk, or cream but less than my measure :) In Thailand this milk very popular, we use in bakery as a milk substitute because milk is more expensive and this will give better texture (maybe) for cake and other dessert. In almost cake for commercial use this milk for sure. I hope you can find this in your nearby store :)
          If you do like clear soup, just skip the milk and follow all step in my video.

          Right picture is a galangal ro somebody known it as a Thai ginger. The color and flavor are exactly difference :) You can't use ginger to substitute galangal < Seriously! :D and again I hope you can find this in your nearby, asian or online market :'(

You will need : 1-2 serving
*I sort ingredients by step I add :) I hope this will help.

  • 3 cups water
  • 2 small shallots
  • 1 stalk lemongrass (cut 1"inch long)
  • 4 slices galangal
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch sugar

  • 200 g. shrimp
  • 30 g. straw mushroom or white mushroom (use any kind that easy to find)
  • 1 ts. fish sauce
  • 4 kaffir lime leave

  • 1 tbs. Thai chili paste
  • 3 tbs. evaporated milk
  • 3 ts. fish sauce
  • 2 ts. chopped Thai chili (up to your taste)
  • 5 ts. lime juice
  • cilantro leave for garnish :)
Watch how to make Tom yum kung

3 comments:

Professor Vegetable said...

While galangal and ginger do taste different they are related!!! I have loved Thai food ever since I was a kid. Great recipe! Buzzing this post on foodbuzz.

Unknown said...

This soup recipe is so simple and yet it looks totally delicious. I will definitely try it. I have never seen fresh kaffir lime leaves in the asian market thou, do you think, frozen or dried leaves will do the job?

ddff said...

no more youtube video upload from you:(

i am concerned about the overcooked shrimp, but the longer we cook the shrimps the more flavourful the soup tastes!